How Adele is a Shaman

Monday January 2nd 2012
Listen to this.

You wouldn’t think that the British singer Adele turned 21 last May, would you? She has the voice of, well, experience.

When I hear a voice like hers, I ask myself where’s the Capricorn?

Nina Simone…what a voice

This is because I’ve noticed that Sun or Moon in Capricorn often (not always) goes with really big voices, or just old sounding voices like Eartha Kitt’s. Sometimes Capricorn seems to give the ability to reach right down into the guts of the earth and drag out music, like Janis Joplin. It is after all the sign of the shaman. There’s a quality of earthy experience there that seems quite natural to these singers.

Here are some singers with Sun in Capricorn: Elvis, Shirley Bassey, Patti Smith, Scott Walker, Joan Baez, Annie Lennox, Beth Gibbons (Portishead), Captain Beefheart, Michael Stipe.

And it’s no surprise that some Capricorn musicians – Dolly Parton and David Bowie for example – have excellent heads for business.

Here are some singers with Moon in Capricorn: Sarah Vaughn, Tammy Wynette, Patsy Cline, Stevie Nicks, Wynonna Judd, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Dinah Shore, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, oh and David Byrne. That’s a lot of country music and some serious blues.

She’s a shaman for sure.

Just in case you were wondering, according to the given birth time for Amy Winehouse, she was born with the Moon at 0° Capricorn: that’s a critical degree which means extra power. It’s also the same degree as the great diva Maria Callas‘ Venus.

So what about Adele? She has not got the Sun or the Moon in the sign of the goatfish. Instead she comes from a generation with a stellium of outer planets in Capricorn, including Neptune who we associate with musicality.

That Neptune trines her Sun-Jupiter conjunction in Taurus, the sign that rules the throat and often goes with a beautiful voice. With Jupiter there, it’s no surprise that she has such a huge sound.

Adele’s Uranus (a spark of genius) is at 0° Capricorn too.

I think we’re in for a treat with the Neptune in Capricorn generation coming of age now.

1. Gilly says:

‘Not always’ indeed! I have the Sun, 4 other planets and 2 points in Capricorn, both my parents were wonderful singers – I sing like a cat with its tail on fire.

Can I ask about those with Mars at 0 Cap? Critical sound right, ‘extra power’, not so much. 🙂

2. Christina says:

Actually, Mars is said to be exalted in Capricorn, which means the action planet is thought to function in this sign better than anywhere else in the Zodiac.

I have one word for you: stamina. At 0 degrees, a lot of stamina. If I wanted a job done, I’d ask you Gilly. In short, lucky you to have such useful energy.

One of the problems for certain Mars placements is a lack of finishing power, but the opposite is true in Capricorn. Not only can you start something (Capricorn is an initiator/a leader) but you have the energy to complete.

This is why Mars is exalted here. The warrior part of your nature actually has a strategy.

3. P says:

Lucky people, those with Mars in Cap. Their energy is directed by ambition. Whereas Mars in Libra is directed by injustice. Case in point: Moi is highly unmotivated. Unless you make me angry (injustice to myself – or rather, my ego). Then watch me go.

4. Anonymous says:

I have Mars in Gemini – a lot of energy up and down – but so scattered…

5. P says:

Hmph. All I have at 0 degs Cap is a lousy Lilith. It’s conjunct Neptune @ 25 degs Sag. And conjunct Juno @ 1 deg Cap. No wonder I’m divorced :D.

6. Christina says:

@P – Yeesh – Lilith coming up from Hades. Are you scary when you’re (finally) angry?

This makes me even more eager to get the Lilith piece sorted. I have commissioned one for March BTW.

7. Sabrina says:

I didn’t know about Cap moons and deep voices! I knew the taurus-scorpio axis could give a wonderful voice, but now it makes sense. Freddie Mercury: moon in cap 1 deg widely opposing uranus in gemini(of course!). I also remember hearing Alicia Keys for the first time singing Falling…I could not believe her age then.
    p.s Gotta love Adele!

8. Christina says:

@Sabrina – How could I have missed Freddie! More big and old than deep (I think), if you know what I mean.

9. Anonymous says:

I also have Moon at 0 degrees Capricorn. Not a singer myself but I do love all of the singers you have listed. They are the ones who sound like they are singing straight to me. Re Amy Winehouse – I had a terrible time when Pluto conjoined my Moon – the worst years of my life by far. Then Uranus started squaring it! I don’t think she had the support network she needed around her to get through all of that hardship. Yet her songs and wonderful voice helped me to get through my own Pluto/Moon years.

10. Christina says:

@ Thanks for that insight Anon. And well done for surviving.

I’ve been leery writing about Winehouse because of the whole ghoulish feeding frenzy that surrounded her both in life and death. But maybe that’s the way into talking about her.

I think Moon-Pluto must count as the most difficult transit. I had the opposition quite a few years ago and sometimes wonder how I survived. BUT I think the conjunction is probably worse.

11. P says:

@ Christina: I believe that ‘Bhadra-Kali’ is one of the things I’ve been called when angry.

12. P says:

Oh, dang, I forgot: Thanks for the Wiwith update (a joke from the TV show Frasier).

13. Christina says:

Now that’s interesting, P. Bhadrakali = Lilith. I have a story about that which I might save for a post.

14. Isy Aweigh says:

Oh lovely. Just queried Astro.com and it looks like Pluto will be dancing back and forth across my moon in 2012 and 2013. I didn’t think to dread it until now.

15. Barbara says:

Another very interesting post Christina. I love Adele’s voice and it is staggering that she is only 21!!!! I never really thought about the connection of nice voices and Capricorn but now that I read your post I totally agree and I do see a similar tone/colour to the voices you have mentioned. Another Moon in Cap Singer I adored is Jeff Buckley.

16. Esme says:

Brody Dalle of the Distillers and Spinerette, also a sun in Cap, has the punk version of this voice. It is extraordinary, Courtney Love wishes she had this voice.

Lordy Lordy is my fave song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fioLxwKhMY4

17. Very interested in the effect for someone who has Sun (9°36’2), Moon 20°39’00) and Mercury all in Capricorn, all in the 11th house. A frustrated musician? ( totally driven but I suspect extremely frustrated)

18. […] And she really inspired him. Look her Venus (woman and art and money) sits right on his MC. What is more her hard-working Capricorn Moon is on his Ascendant. (You can see these two were both happy to work hard for success. They put in the hours.) They also have a connection between the nodes, so you can see that it was a relationship that could change the direction of their lives. Her North Node is a few degrees from his Sun-Saturn, and his North Node is on her Neptune (music). And look at the wild woman Lilith. In both their charts, she’s in musical Pisces. But she’s in complementary positions. Summer’s is in the seventh and Moroder’s in the first. Love to Love You was considered so shocking that it was banned by, among other broadcasters, the BBC. Now here’s the tricky astrological fun stuff. I’ve drawn up the composite chart for these two. Mercury (communications), Sun (the heart of the relationship) and Jupiter (magnifier) are all in musical Pisces at the very top of the chart. So right away you can see the point of their get together. So if I put the transits in for the recording of the song? That’s April-May 1975. Lilith is right there transiting the key stellium and about to have a return.  When the single was released, their composite Sun moved into the first house, bringing them to public attention. And just take a look at the transiting North Node – right on the partnership point. Neptune would transit that partnership angle for the rest of the decade as disco went global. These two turned out hit after hit together. A Grand Cross in a composite chart is often a sign of balance rather than tension. For Moroder and Summer, the tightest opposition is across Libra-Aries. Neptune in Libra is surely a perfect symbol of musical partnership, and Mars in Aries is pioneering and so dynamic.   The other part of the Grand Cross is extremely businesslike Moon-Saturn across Capricorn-Cancer. This could be cold, but in fact the planets are in each other’s signs which puts them into what’s called mutual reception, so they work supportively together. The emotions get channelled into the work. But enough of astrology. Put your headphones on and get down. I think it may actually sound better now than it did then. Capricorns do age like fine wine. This is the long version, and a dull video, but just listen to 17 minutes of disco heaven… For more on Capricorn and singers, read How Adele is a Shaman. […]

19. […] in North Carolina. She has Moon in Capricorn — a singer’s placement (read more on this here), Sun, North Node, Mercury and the Part of Fortune in Pisces in the first house of self and cusp of […]