Who Should Die And Who Should Live?

Tuesday November 13th 2012
Where is Woody Harrelson when you need him? (as Tallahassee in Zombieland)

My friend the doctor has some really hard choices to make. He told me this week that he’s having to write up the “Do Not Resuscitate” protocol for one of the care homes he visits.

The problem is this. What do you do when someone with senile dementia – who needs to be fed and toileted, who recognises no one and nothing, who survives because her nursing is excellent, whose quality of life is zero – what do you do when this person gets rushed to hospital for the second or third time with acute pneumonia, gets dragged back from the brink of death, and sent back to the care home for another month or year or decade of living death?

Someone needs to take the decision to let her die. Someone needs to think ahead, talk it over with the family and prepare the staff at the care home.

Then there’s another kind of zombie that’ I’ve just heard about. There are just under 150,000 companies here in the UK, which are stumbling along, neither alive nor dead, servicing their debt but unable to expand or develop. These are husk companies, which banks are not allowing to fail, because it would look terrible on the balance sheet.

Someone needs to make the decision to let those companies die.

What’s maybe more frightening is how this works on an individual basis. A lot of people have debts which they can just about service – no more, no less. But their lives are hollowed out by debt. They’re treading water, gasping for breath.

Can these people be left to go to the wall? The entire country would collapse.

I look out at my dying garden. There are the dead flower heads, the mouldering leaves. There is the cycle of the year. It’s closure. Here is beauty in decay.

Without endings, there are no beginnings. Simply, if no one dies, there is no room for babies to be born. The old must make way for the young. Zombie companies need to fail or be truly resuscitated, and people need to be helped out of debt, and back into the land of living.

Next year’s garden.

November is the month of Scorpio, and tonight we have a solar eclipse at 21° of that sign. Eclipses are said to bring endings – and usually those are necessary, but they are not always nice. Eclipses across the Scorpio-Taurus axis happen every nine years, but this one is strengthened because this year we also have Saturn, the planet that takes account, just in Scorpio too. This visitation happens every 28 years, so it’s important. Saturn is here to render account of things Scorpionic – including both death, debt.

D. pruned the roses today, shortening the side shoots and taking out the old stems, so that next year our arbour will be luscious with blossom again.
What do you need to allow to die, so that you can put your energy into reviving the things that you need to keep?

1. Diane L says:

Great post, Christina! This is an extremely important issue & I have hopes it will begin to be addressed as Saturn moves thru Scorpio.

2. Prospera says:

Several years before my elderly mother died, in typical Sun Cap/Moon Virgo/Scorpio Asc -fashion, she signed a Do Not Resuscitate document and ensured all her children knew her wishes. Perhaps, much as we have to gain a driver’s licence, it could be compulsory that we put in place a decree attached to our last will and testament stating our wishes re. resuscitation, organ donation and suchlike. It would save others so much heart-ache and strife if we took responsibility for the circumstances of our own demise.

Saturn is transiting my 11th. Last time he did so, my hopes and dreams contracted miserably. This time, they have expanded dramatically. I’ve found if I fearlessly stare down The Old Devil (Saturn), he winks and laughs, ‘carry on, be brave – think bigger!’ However, some dreams do have to be released to make way for the new.

I know Uranus is supposed to be the planet of change, but I wonder if Saturn shouldn’t wear that moniker. Any thoughts?

3. William says:

I have my documents in order, more and less. The order is don’t resuscitate if it isn’t going to give quality of life. There are times when the person is healthy enough to go through the necessary therapy to regain their life.

4. Christina says:

Interesting thought Prospera & actually you’ve made me stop and rethink something. I quite casually think of Uranus as the planet of change, but it’s more disruption.

There are really just two states if you think about it: change or stasis. Most transits from planets bring change – either fast or slow. Some do cause blockage and stasis, but you can’t always say which way it’s going to go with a planet.

Saturn is traditionally the planet of death after all – and that is one of the biggest changes of all.

5. Sabrina says:

Love this. When is the right time, letting someone die- with as much dignity and comfort as possible-is the ultimate act of love, generosity and compassion. Scorpio/pluto energy at its finest.
    In my family (especially my maternal side, not surprisingly) everyone has been rather clear about not wanting to do more than its necessary, and preferring cremation and a rather discreet ceremony, if anything at all. Which is the opposite of what is the tradition in my home town (a bit more drama and fuss and gossip…)

6. Isy Aweigh says:

Occupy in the US is buying blocks of consumer debt in the same market (paying tuppence on the dollar) as the debt collection agencies. Then forgiving the debt.

Can you imagine doing that at the natiinal level? For each tax dollar spent buying and forgiving consumer debt, the economic boost would be geometric. Mind you, putting reigns on the provokers of debt and making it harder for consumers to jump back on the merry go round would be important supportive measures..

7. Anonymous says:

But interestingly what to do for a person who has no quality of life. Whether that person is old young or middle aged. And that person is deemed to be healthy. What if that person was born in a certain situation, with certain qualities that society deems to be for want of a better word unacceptable. What to do for that person who will get nowhere in life and yet at the same time society thinks everyone has an equal chance. A person who is rejected by society.

8. gaye mack says:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.