Astrology of Now: The Eclipse, the Pope and the Hajj

Sunday September 27th 2015
Total lunar eclipse. Photo: NASA

Total lunar eclipse. Photo: NASA

The Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia has this to say about more than 700 people being crushed to death at Mina during the annual pilgrimage to Mecca, the Hajj: “As for the things that humans cannot control, you are not blamed for them. Fate and destiny are inevitable.”

Fate and destiny are by definition inevitable, of course, but the Iranian President Hassan Rouhani is right to be furious. Those people died because of poor crowd control.

However, with the massive energies of Jupiter (pilgrimage) and Neptune (religious ecstasy) in opposition across the Zodiac right now, you might have expected a really huge number of people on the hajj this year. At the same time, Saturn, the planet of blockage, went into Sagittarius — also associated with pilgrimage — just a few days earlier, and at the time of the crush Saturn was exactly squaring Mars (0°), the planet of action. A square is again a stumbling block.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, Pope Francis’ visit to the United States and Cuba is riding the Neptune-Jupiter high tide of religious feeling. Jupiter we associate with popes, and right now Jupiter in earthy, practical, unassuming Virgo, does seem to describe Francis. It’s interesting that the Pope has chosen to return to the Americas on a Mercury Retrograde.

The Pope has referred to himself as the son of immigrants, and, among others, it’s America’s vast pool of illegal immigrants who are hoping for an intercession from the pontiff. You would associate the planet Uranus with “aliens”, and on the day the Pope touched down in Washington, Venus, the planet of love in royal Leo, trined Uranus in Aries, the sign of the individual. Nice.

The Eclipse

Tonight, starting around 1.30 am GMD, we have the Total Lunar Eclipse. It’s a strong one, and worth setting your alarm clock for. It peaks at around 3.50 am GMD at 4°40 Aries. Anyone with planets in early Cardinal signs — Libra, Aries, Cancer and Capricorn — will feel this especially, but it’s likely to have impact on the collective too. A visible eclipse, as this one will be over Europe, West Africa and the Eastern Americas must have greater symbolic impact than an invisible one. But this one is even stronger because the Moon herself is as close to the Earth as she ever gets.

Its also the final one in a “tetrad” of total Full Moon eclipses in Libra-Aries that has been shifting things for those signs especially. There’s one more eclipse in Libra-Aries next spring but it’s not part of this “total” grouping.

Remember that an eclipse softens, or sensitises, a point in the chart, so that when the point is touched by a transiting planet after or even before sometimes, events are triggered. The weeks following and preceding an eclipse such as this one are under this influence too.

Expect some endings, and the seeds of change.

1. mm says:

I always appreciate your astrological input on current events Christina, and this post is no exception, both as regards the Hajj and the Pope. Hadn’t made the connection with Francis’ return to the Americas and Mercury retrograde – as a neutral observer I am watching him and his pontificate with great interest.

The eclipse falls exactly on my natal Black Moon Lilith in Aries in 7th. The effect on relationships should be interesting to say the least! I really need my sleep these days but am tempted to set the alarm nonetheless.

2. According to which house system one uses the eclipse hits my 1st or 2nd house….and I have been having dreams filled with lots of Aries energy linked to how I appear and about my skills and values… I think I am in for very interesting times…

3. Ann says:

They died not because of poor crowd control but because that event, like all the other terrifying things happening relentlessly at this point, was engineered precisely for the purpose of destabilization. By the genocidal Powers That Be. They’re on their way out but we need to get it into our brains – the way the western media describes things is virtually 100% propaganda… because, OF COURSE, the trillionaire powers that be OWN THE PRESS.

4. SD says:

The eclipse last night fell pretty much on my IC, give or take a degree. I’m interested as to what this might mean.

5. Jassi says:

Your perfect interpretations of planetary aspects always heighten my awareness. What amazes me is that when planets are in aspect we really do not know how the event will manifest. We grasp an understanding of the symbols but it is only after it happens we can see, Oh, this is how it was expressed.

6. mimi says:

Hi Christina,

Isn’t it interesting that exactly on the day of this Super Blood Moon in Aries NASA announced that water (the Moon) probably exists on Mars ?
    Would the Moon and Mars be attempting to tell us something ? Has Mars got tears in his eyes ?
    I just love the accuracy of our Solar System !

mimi

7. Jane Lyle says:

Hi Christina – hope you saw the lunar eclipse. So eerie and beautiful.

I couldn’t resist looking at the national chart for Saudi Arabia after reading this post. There are several, but the one for the formal proclamation is 21 September 1932, Riyadh (Nicholas Campion’s Book of World Horoscopes). It has a Jupiter-Neptune conjunction at currently sensitive 8 degrees of Virgo in the 9th house (quite religious I think!) square the Moon in Gemini (crowds?) in the 6th. This chart is set for midday, so the Moon’s degree may not be accurate – but as this is Saudi’s national day, I think midday would make sense anyway. The Moon would still be in Gemini that day. Transiting Neptune in Pisces is currently swimming along in the 3rd house, and is of course opposing Jupiter and it’s own position. Really confusing! The outlet for this t-square falls in the Sagittarian 12th – more travel and religion, and a horrible example of ‘self-undoing’, sadly. As you say, crowd control could have prevented the tragedy. Curious to see what emerges when Saturn squares that Jupiter-Neptune conjunction in November.

On a more upbeat note – I also loved the NASA big news announcement about water flowing on Mars, perfect astro timing!

• Christina says:

How perfect for a rule-bound religious state to have Jupiter-Neptune in Virgo. I’d suggest that the Wahabi version of Islam is rather overly attentive to detail.