Is This The Most Challenging Saturn Return Ever? Part 2
Before addressing the Saturn Return, let’s talk about Saturn in Libra in general. You know, I can’t emphasise enough what a good placement this is. (OK, it might not feel like it just now.)
Saturn is exalted in the sign of the scales. That means he is at his best. He behaves better here than in any other sign. His obsession with rules and regulations is modified by a balance and fairness, by partnership, by intelligence.
The more people I meet with this placement, the more I admire and respect them as a group. People with Saturn in Libra are blessed with the following:
- practical fairness,
- clear, rational problem-solving,
- a sense of social justice and duty,
- an understanding that personal relationships are serious,
- loyalty to partners, commitment, the desire to work at relationships, these people are grown up about relationships,
- practical intelligence Libra is a very bright sign, like all the air signs, but this sometimes gets overlooked. With Saturn here, that Libran intelligence is put to practical purpose. Saturn is not a personal planet, so the intelligence tends to be less foregrounded, more subtle. It manifests more in how Saturn Libra gets things done.
|Even Shiva and Parvati had their problems.|
Why is it such a special placement? Because Saturn in Libra, when well expressed, truly supports a partner, puts other people first. Saturn in Libra shares.
Here is the downside. Obviously the main area of difficulty is likely to be relationships which come under the rulership of Libra.
- working on relationships that aren’t worth the candle. Getting stuck in a partnership that is a bad habit.
- choosing difficult partnerships. It may not feel like it at the time, this is ultimately a growth experience. You need to look at it rationally and ask yourself: are we better off together or apart
- fear of commitment. You must face this fear (if you have it) and figure out how you are blocking yourself. Are you deliberately choosing the wrong people? Are you staying single for too long?
The 1980s generation
Right now, this generation is experiencing their torrid first Saturn Return. Saturn is important for many of them anyway, since they may have a Jupiter conjunct Saturn natally, which is one of the most challenging and character-building aspects. These big planets are the two kings of solar system with opposite ways of ruling the world. Saturn contracts, Jupiter expands. The conjunction (which happens every 20 years) promises great potential. But they fight each other. Saturn is about contraction and Jupiter about expansion. In the second house for example, this combo often shows people who are always broke but always able to earn a crust.
|It took them years to get to the altar, v Saturnian.|
Or they may have a Pluto-Saturn conjunction, or a Saturn-Jupiter-Pluto conjunction. Pluto plus Saturn is really tough. In Libra, this would suggest the early experiences of partnership (e.g. their parents’ marriage) may have been pretty harsh. (I can’t help thinking of Prince William, born in 1982 with Jupiter, Pluto, Saturn, Mars in a stellium. His parents marriage was exactly a paradigm he did not want to follow. He learned the lesson (Saturn) of bad marriage.)
|Isabella Rossellini (b.1952) and her |
then-partner David Lynch. Picture says it all really.
You’d think that the previous generation born with Saturn in Libra in the early 1950s would have had an easier time with relationships – after all they have dreamy, romantic Neptune in Libra too and Saturn would be in a handy sextile to wicked Pluto in Leo for many of them.
Far from it. Neptune’s idealism has made partnership really quite difficult: there is no such thing as perfect. But with Saturn there, you just keep on trying – and you take relationships really, really seriously. And with Pluto in Leo one of your most important life-missions is the transformation of the self. You may well have effected this through relationships.
These are the flower children born with Uranus in Cancer, who did so much to change how we think of the idea “mother”.
You can see how this pattern starts to work. The whole structure of families shifted thanks to these people and I expect more shifts as they become grandparents.
More in the next post….