The UK Riots: Mummy I’m Hungry

Friday August 12th 2011
Ah the Sex Pistols… England’s finest

Rioting is an English tradition…that’s why a Riot Act was passed in 1715. But what we riot about changes to reflect the spirit of the times.

The theme of these 2011 riots? Extreme shopping. Extreme shopping with a bodycount (so far) of five.

This is a nation which has been relentlessly and mercilessly marketed at for 30 years, with increasing ferocity in the last decade. Our society has been working very hard at turning us into perfect consumers – directly through advertising, but also through the media in general.

It’s becoming clear that a lot of the rioters were kids (well, it is the school holidays). They have been the most fiercely targeted group of consumers of us all. By whom? By their own parents and grandparents.

A junkie is a perfect consumer.
Amy, where was your mum?

Here’s my definition of a perfect consumer. S/he feels constantly inadequate. S/he always has to have the next thing – the right shoes, the right label, the right TV, the right mobile, the right work of art even. But to be perfect, s/he can never be satisfied. A satisfied customer is a lousy consumer. S/he has to want, need more and more stuff. S/he’s an open mouth, a drain, hollow – a junkie who doesn’t die.

Those people rioting were like one huge maw, violently stuffing consumer products into its mouth and vomiting out flames, mayhem and death.

It all kicked off in Tottenham on Saturday night at around 8.20 according to the BBC.

The riot chart has Aquarius Rising, the people rising, so it is ruled by Uranus, planet of shocks which conjunct Ceres, the planet of nurturing and, perhaps, consumption. I think that’s going to be our theme right there. But I want to concentrate on the way the riot chart transits the UK chart.

And what an interesting set of transits we have here. Mars (violent action ) is in the 5th house of the riot chart (kids), completing the Cardinal Cross and it transits the very top of the UK chart.

Transiting Cardinal Cross = Saturn in Libra, Pluto in Capricorn, Uranus in Aries, Mars in Cancer.

The start of the riots. Tottenham August 6.

Mars has just moved into Cancer (nurturing, mummy’s breast) to oppose tr Pluto in Capricorn (the police, the state.) and exactly trining the UK’s natal Pluto in Pisces.

Pluto is (among other things) hunger. It is the hole that can never be filled, the endless drain. The UK’s natal Pluto is currently being conjuncted by the wounded healer Chiron.

Joining the fray, we find the planet associated with nurturing, Ceres, retrograding on the most critical degree (arguably) of the entire zodiac 0°Aries. She’s exactly opposite the UK’s weird natal 12th house Uranus and, of course, part of the Cardinal Cross.

Are the rioters calling: feed me, mummy, feed me? What nurtures them?

So where was the other mother, the Moon, at the moment that violence broke out? In Scorpio, Pluto’s sign, conjuncting the UK’s natal Neptune (dreams and image). She’s precisely sextiling her natal sister Moon in nurturing Cancer.

Saturn, the planet of belt-tightening, is currently in the UK’s first house. This is the main theme for the country over the next few years. We will all have to tighten our belts, we will all have to go on a diet of some kind – maybe even abstain from random shopping.

UK 1901 chart

Jupiter, the planet of greed, is also part of the picture, as you would expect. Currently, he’s in Taurus, the sign of the gourmet (or just plain eater), sextiling the UK IC and coming up to conjunct that greedy natal Mars in Taurus.  This is all in the compulsive 8th house. So our native tendency to unbridled consumption is being expanded. Oh and look, the natal Jupiter in Leo is trined by transiting Ceres – again the theme of consumption.

So I guess what I’m seeing is this: the current Cardinal aspects are about hunger and satisfaction. The rioters were greedy for stuff, greedy for excitement, bored. But materialism will never nourish the soul.

The exposure of greed does seem to be a powerful theme of our times.Bankers, MPs, rioters: all looters.

Its ironic that in another part of the world, children are in fact starving to death. If you want to give to Save the Children click here. The hunger in East Africa is not a metaphor.

1. Jo says:

Interesting analysis, thanks. I agree that the overemphasis on consumerism and advertising ( BUY-BUY-BUY ) is becoming a serious problem in the West ( for a variety of reasons )- perhaps one we’ve been blind to all along, in fact.

2. Jilly says:

That was excellent, thanks. Sorry the UK is going through that.

…I wondered about the UK’s 12h Uranus LOL when I visited about 15 years ago and noticed all the “new corrective mistress” cards in the phone booths on Baker St.

3. Anonymous says:

that was very insightful, thank you.I`ve never thought that Pluto was so connected with a “never ending hole” and I`ll try to apply this to my own Pluto. I was just wondering if Pluto in Scorpio generation could be another hallmark related to the events, as most of them are under 25/27.

4. Christina says:

I have just read an excellent piece by Theodore Dalyrmple in the Australian. One thing you need to know about him is that he was a prison doctor for a long time – so he writes from knowledge. I was interested that he also picked on Amy Winehouse as an exemplar of the current societal malaise.

5. Christina says:

@Jilly – we’re a kinky bunch.

@Anon – I think the Pluto in Scorpio generation has had to put up with some seriously bad parenting – personally, by the state, by the church(es) and by society.

I find the pluto=void thing very useful in personal charts.

6. Opal says:

Nice one Christina – welcome back 🙂

7. Isy Aweigh says:

I sure dig the thorough explication — thanks.

Pluto as bottomless need does confirm something in my chart. Unfortunately. 🙂

Glad you linked to STC. Brilliant organization. I’ve dropped a comment or three on some of the more conspicuous consumers I’m close to, along the lines of, “You want something REALLY satisfying to do with your money?…”

8. Christina says:

@Isy – and of course you could argue that choosing your charity (as part of your identity) is part of our great consumer society too.

9. Jackie T says:

A superb analysis on the oh so weird events of last week. I hadn’t thought of Pluto as being a void/black hole and that’s a useful concept to play with. The Archbishop of Canterbury said in a speech that we need to bring up our children to be citizens and not consumers, which echos your article. I also wondered if it’s all part of the sweeping away of the excesses of Pluto in Sag, the highlighting of the decadence of our society from all those years of extravagance. Sag isn’t specifically linked to consumerism, but it knows no boundaries, or at least doesn’t like to admit to them!

10. Christina says:

Good points there Jackie. I hadn’t thought of Pluto in Sag that way before but I’m sure you are on to something.

I note also that Neptune has slipped back into Aquarius for a last mess with our collective heads.

11. Sabrina says:

Great post and comments.
    I’ve seen a bit of riots and looting close enough, from our window of a 3rd floor in my early teens, sad and scary.(one time, pluto in scorp was opp mars in taurus)
    I really like the way you link it with pluto as a void. I’d say that Uranus in aries as part of the combo is saying why can’t ‘I’ do/get whatever the heck I want to?
    Another thing that I kept thinking of is how the mob behavior can affect mostly young ones. I think many of them wouldn’t have done anything like that in other circumstances.

12. Christina says:

@Sabrina – That must have been pretty scary. Defintitely Uranus in Aries – “me, me, me”.

One thing I have to point out is that the police got the situation under control (eventually) without resorting to plastic bullets, water cannon or tasers. They (usually) also do not carry guns in this country. The courts have been working overtime and hundreds of people have already been arrested and convicted. In other words the system is working.