Astrology of Now: Concrete Dreams

Friday October 12th 2012
William Turner: Snowstorm at Sea

Neptune, the planet of illusion and delusion welcomed Saturn, the planet that rules old age, acquired wisdom, maturity, rules, boundaries, reality into the realm of water this month. What could this mean?

Saturn is at 0° Scorpio trining Neptune at 0° Pisces. This is a strong, straightforward positive aspect between two powerful outer planets. It’s very big energy, especially if you have planets in any water sign.

Water is emotion. In Scorpio, the water is like a deep, deep well, narrowly focused, intense. The edges of this well are firm and sharply defined, but its depth is infinite. And sometimes, that water is frozen. Solid ice,  crystal clear, beautiful, static. Remember this is the fixed water sign.

In Pisces, the water widens out into a lake or a sea … With the mist just rising up from its surface, blurring the edges, and a horizon that disappears into infinity. Where are the boundaries? Lost in the fog. With Neptune here, fog thickens. Strange silhouettes appear and disappear.

Wanderer Above the Sea of Mist: Caspar David Friedrich

But this week those silhouettes seem to take a firmer outline. The contours are clearer. In fact they are no longer two-dimensional but sculpted. Look closer and you can see their eyes gleam, their claws extend, the scales glisten. Listen closely and the creatures in the fog may haves something important to tell you.

Both Pisces and Scorpio deal in dreams but those dreams are quite different in character. Scorpio’s is the recurring dream, the obsession. This is the dream that comes night after night, year after year, until the story is resolved….. or not. This the penetrating psychological insight delivered in a single startling image.

The dreams of  Pisces are not of this ilk – more mysterious, more slantwise. The truth of these dreams is elliptical. Narratives unfurl and curl in on each other in Fibonacci sequences of music, images, feeling, colour, story. Pisces is less personal. These are dreams in which you may dive into a completely unfamiliar world.  While Scorpio deals in psychological precision; Pisces creates empires of the imagination.

So what happens when reality in the shape of Saturn enters the watery realm. He is welcome here. Scorpio is comfortable with Saturn. Scorpio is, after all, a keeper of emotional boundaries. But Neptune is the king of the sea, all water is his realm, and he in particular is stretching out a hand to Saturn and inviting him in.

We need to make our dreams take shape, to make those whisperings and stirrings of the imagination into something real. The Saturn-Neptune combination belongs to artists, the people who make dreams real, and the artist in all of us.

(Many people were born with Neptune in Scorpio (1957-1971). And quite a few were born with Saturn in Pisces during those years. For example Jonathan Ive, the designer of the machine I am working on now – which is a perfect marriage of dreams and practicality.)

What dreams or imaginings do you have that need to be made manifest?

1. Em says:

This is lovely and incredibly accurate. This is hitting my Moon Neptune conjunction and this is my life right now. And not with just one dream but several.

2. Christina says:

I have to admit I am finding this energy very very powerful personally…

3. Anonymous says:

Yes I have plenty of dreams – but hell I have them anyway – I’m piscean. What I am feeling is dullness or stuckness or dreariness. Fun has gone.

4. Iris says:

Lovely post Christina, yes I’m finding this energy powerful, it has sharpened the vague blur of Neptune into perceptible shapes, as you said. Feel like I can float down into the well, dissolve and be intensely present at the same time sensing all the micro-life. Extra dream-juice.

5. Anonymous says:

Plus Armstrong has Chiron in Aries…the wounded number one….exactly opposite Uranus, oh boy!

6. Sabrina says:

Amazing images! It is a great combination, and I should benefit from it as well. the ruler of my IC, jupiter is @ 0° Pisces…and looking for a place to move AGAIN soon. Not feeling inspired yet. But with Sat in Scorpio there is no chance to sleep in laurels…and I’m liking that.

7. Gilly says:

Fascinating post. I have 2 planets (Mars and the Moon)inconjunct at 0 degrees – a soft angle to one is a hard angle to the other. I’m having trouble sleeping and some intense and strange dreams. I’m finding this a very unsettling energy.

8. Christina says:

Anon – sorry your Armstrong comment doesn’t want to go with that post!

And other Anon – oh no, please don’t feel stuck… build… or it could also be worth looking at what Pluto’s doing to your chart…

9. Sabrina says:

Christina what do you think about the mutual reception between Pluto and Saturn? I suspect you have that cooking but couldn’t resist asking.

10. Minnie says:

Fascinating post, as ever, Christina; thank you.
    Dreams? Definitely! Cancer rising natally, with Uranus rising at a few degrees further on in the 1st decanate: expect the unexpected, and at dizzying speed? While I welcome positive change, I’d rather it panned out at a slower pace (old person; lots of Virgo!); but sounds like I won’t have any choice. Still, having felt crushed & blocked for some time, the burden’s now lifting – and suddenly, too.
    Have been enjoying your blog for some time: un grand merci from an ex-expat.

11. Christina says:

Minnie – Crushed and blocked – I wonder what Pluto has been doing to your chart.

12. Minnie says:

Pluto? Waiting patiently until I began to feel a bit more confident about my future before hitting me with a diagnosis of incurable, life-limiting disease in time for last Christmas.
    First came the scrabbling back from the brink and endless sacrifices in order to re-build after disastrous marriage left me starting more-or-less from scratch financially in mid-40s; second came the ‘making it’, after what seemed like a very long 6 years, in form of own house once more (small mortgage; sought-after type of house in AONB location) + good job; thirdly came redundancy in early 50s; fourthly came near-fatal illness just as about to re-launch in beloved France on platform of new career (having gone back into f-t ed, aged 53 + at own expense, on strength of results offered job in Grande Ecole + had sufficient funds to buy outright modest property …
    Moved x 13 in the decade since I had to sell my home, constantly flogging dead horses in the form of jobs or jobsearches/relationships/friendships and meeting some of the worst people I’ve ever had the misfortune to encounter – mostly my compatriots btw (foreigners much more sympathetic – 9th house Jupiter?); now moribund myself. So, yeah, Pluto has probably been quite active!